Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours & 20 minutes
• 1 free-range organic chicken
• Cold water for blanching
• 3 to 3 1/2 quarts of water
• 1 piece of ginger root, smashed
• 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
• 1 stalk of lemongrass
• Few stalks of cilantro
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1 tablespoon rice cooking wine
• 6oz oyster mushrooms, sliced
• Salt to taste
1. In a large pot of cold water, add the pork bones to blanch. Once the water is boiling, let it cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat, drain, and wash the chicken clean. This process will give you a clear (rather than cloudy) soup.
2. Pour 3 to 3 1/2 quarts of water in the pot, bring it to boiling. Add the blanched chicken, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cilantro, ground white pepper, and rice wine to the pot and bring to a boil for 15 mins. Simmer for 2 hours.
3. After 2 hours of cooking, add the oyster mushrooms. Simmer for another 2 or 3mins, add salt to taste, and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Linda Huang of The Hummingbird's Kitchen