The following recipe is for a 1/2 pound, or 1 quart of mushrooms which is how we sell our oysters at the farmers market. If you have a different quantity of mushrooms, you can use the ratios listed with the ingredients below. (e.g if your mushrooms wigh 100g, you will us 15g sherry, and so on)
• 225g Oyster mushrooms (~1 quart) (100%)
• 34g cooking sherry (15%)
• 22.5g granulated sugar (10%)
• 4.5 kosher salt (2%)
• 2 sprigs minced rosemary
• Extra virgin olive oil to cover
• 22.5g water (10%)
• Sherry vinegar to taste
1. Cover the bottom of a large sauce pot with olive oil and add in your trimmed oyster mushrooms. Cook on medium hear, stirring every few minutes until the mushrooms brown and shrink a little.
2. Add in your cooking sherry, sugar, salt, rosemary, water, and continue cooking on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the liquid thickens and becomes syrupy.
3. Once you reach your desired consistency , remove jam from heat and let it cool own. Taste your jam, and add a little bit of sherry vinegar to make it pop. Start slowly and add in a teaspoon at a time. This little bit of acidity will really bring out the flavor of the mushrooms and rosemary.
4. Transfer to sterile/very clean jar and let cool down completely. Put a lid on it, and store in your refrigerator for up to 6 months. Once cool, if you cover the jam with a 1/4"-1/2" of olive oil it will hold up to a year.