• Mushrooms (trimmed) (100%)
• Kosher Salt (20%)
1. Trim mushrooms down to a size that will comfortable fit into a glass canning jar. Weigh mushrooms, this is 100% of your weight for this recipe.
2. Transfer mushrooms to a large mixing bowl or container that is sterile/very clean and will fit all of the mushrooms.
3. Weigh out your salt to be 20% of the weight of your mushrooms (e.g if your mushrooms weigh 100g, weigh out 20g of salt).
4. Give the mushrooms a quick rinse, pat them dry, and toss the mushrooms with the salt in the mixing bowl to get full coverage.
5. Transfer mushrooms to a sterilized jar and try to comfortably pack them in. Add any remaining salt to the jar, and put the lid on. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry place for later use.
To utilize the salted mushrooms, remove them from their jar, strain off any liquid (save this, read below for how to use), soak the salted mushrooms in cold water at a 10:1 ratio to rinse away the salt. 1 hour in a bath will have them ready to roll. Remove them from the water bath and let them air dry for 20-30 minutes. They can now be added to whatever dish you're making.
Umami Liquid: the reserved salted mushroom liquid is one of the best parts of this process! I like to keep this on hand to add to things that need a little extra oomph. Add, in small amounts, to sauces, soups, braises, salad dressings, etc.