• 3/4 pound black pearl mushrooms
• 2 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp sherry wine/sake
• 2 Tbsp water
• 1 Tbsp honey
• Canola oil
• 3 scallions
• 1 cup basil leaves
• 1/4 cup mint leaves
• 1 Tbsp grated giner
• 1/2 serrano chili (optional)
• 1 garlic clove
• 2 Tbsp toasted pinenuts
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
• 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Cut the mushrooms in half and cut a cross-hatch pattern on the un-cut side's stem.
2. In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, add about 2 TBS canola oil. Gently brown each side of the mushrooms. Work in batches so that the frying pan doesn't get overcrowded.
3. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and add all the mushrooms back to the frying pan.
4. Add in the soy sauce, Sherry wine, and water to the frying pan, then cover the pan with a lid. Cook mushrooms in brazing liquid for 3 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and drizzle the honey over the mushrooms, gently stir to coat.
1. In a small bowl mix the sesame seed oil and olive oil together and set aside.
2. In a food processor combine remaining ingredients and pulse to a rough chop.
3. Turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle in the oil mixture to emulsify.
4. Drizzle pesto over the Braised Mushrooms
5. Garnish mushrooms with scallions, sesame seeds and or toasted pine nuts.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Ross and Emma of Whistle Pig Korean