Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
Similar to an oyster sauce, this Vegetarian Umami Sause can be used in sir-fry, sauce or soups.
• 2 oz (40 grams) black pearl mushrooms
• 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
• 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
• 1 teaspoon ginger , finely grated
• 2 ¼ cups vegetable broth or water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
• 1 teaspoon maple syrup
• 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
1. Rinse and wash the mushrooms in the water by gently rubbing the caps with your fingers. Squeeze out extra liquid and transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board. Thinly slice and set them aside.
2. In a well-heated skillet, add avocado oil. Sauté mushrooms with ginger and garlic over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes.
3. In a high speed blender, add 2 ¼ cups vegetable broth or water, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1tsp maple syrup and 1/4 tsp five spice. Blend on high speed for 40 seconds or until the mixture is very smooth. There should be no food chunks.
4. Transfer to an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for much much longer.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Linda Huang of The Hummingbird's Kitchen